Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Let the Right One in

I haven't stopped thinking about thinking about this movie since the second I left the STAC room. I think what really struck me was the silence . The soundtrack was absolutely beautiful which really helped you take in the moments of silence and let you think about what was going on. One thing that really pushed towards the scary side of the movie were the movement in the camera. There was almost no movement of the camera and if there was, it was extremely sloww. The movie mostly consisted of quick shot changes. When you mix quick shot changes and slow to very little movement... you have a creepy movie. One thing that really interested me was the distance from the camera to the actual scene. It made you actually feel like you we're watching them from a distance. That also contributed to the creepy aspect because i felt kind of weird watching it... almost like i wasn't supposed to be there. Whenever I watch those really stupid, gory, scary movies i always have the tendency to close my eyes or turn around but i always have to take a peak back because the thoughts in my head matching the sounds going on are actually worse than the actual movie. This director clearly knew that the average person does this and he didn't want you missing one second of his film so he said "hey! they can't escape sounds unless their 4 and think sticking your fingers in your ears actually works, so, I'll give them a little picture, add all the sounds and leave the rest to their imagination." He really takes the saying, "less is more" to a whole new limit. I think the rubix cube sympolizes oskar and eli's relationship. You make one turn, and it doesn't seem right at first, but in reality it's just taking you one step closer to the perfect ending. Eli keeps killing people and you cant help but be like "What the hell is going on? Leave this girl now! She's gunna kill you." but it actually helps Eli and Oscar become closer.

3 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT COMMENT REGARDING SOUND!!! Yes! I agree - what a great thought: You can hide it from your eyes but you can't hide it from your EARS! Be sure to bring this up in class tomorrow. This is excellent!

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on Luke's comment. Jill, you picked up something that I expected almost no one else to pick up on, the sound. Like Luke even said in class, there is no such thing as silence, it's merely a concept (to me). If you take a minute where ever you are, sit in solitude and don't say a word, you'll hear noise. It's all white noise. We're surrounded by it. I find your sense of hearing astonishing and admirable.

    I also really liked when you said "i felt kind of weird watching it... almost like i wasn't supposed to be there." hit the hammer right on the nail. AMAZING POST!

    ReplyDelete